Joshua Jackson

Josh Arrested at Game

Monday, November 11, 2002 12:00AM EST
Link to Article
– – –

‘Dawson’s’ actor arrested at game
Joshua Jackson is briefly jailed, charged with assaulting an RBC Center security guard
Terry Long, a ‘Dawson’s Creek’ aide, also faces charges.

Early Sunday morning, any fan with $1,000 — or less, if a bail bondsman were involved — could have wangled a meeting with “Dawson’s Creek” actor Joshua Jackson.

Jackson, 24, who plays a party boy with a sensitive side on the television show, was arrested Saturday night and charged with drunkenly assaulting a security guard at the Carolina Hurricanes hockey game at the RBC Center in Raleigh. Arrest warrants allege that Jackson grabbed guard Drew Grissom, 40, around the neck and struck him.

In jail, tests showed his blood alcohol content registered 0.14. Later, about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, he posted bail and left. Remaining in jail was a second man, Terry Dean Long, 38, of Wilmington, a production worker on the show who told a magistrate he jumped into the fight with Jackson.

Reached on his cell phone Sunday, Jackson refused to comment. The Vancouver, B.C., native appeared in the “Mighty Ducks” series of hockey movies before joining the cast of the teen-oriented “Dawson’s Creek,” which is filmed in Wilmington and set in Boston. An episode to air Wednesday was partly filmed at the RBC Center.

Long was charged with being intoxicated and disruptive and also possessing marijuana and drug paraphernalia, arrest warrants show. He posted bail and walked out of the jail about 11:20 a.m. Sunday. Long, who lives with his parents in Wilmington, has been convicted of misdemeanor charges of driving while intoxicated, possessing drug paraphernalia and prostitution, records show. Efforts to reach him failed Sunday.

Grissom, the security guard, referred questions to RBC Center officials. Attempts to reach Raleigh police detective G.R. Passley, who arrested Jackson, were unsuccessful.

At the Wake County jail early Sunday morning, while a magistrate waited for Jackson to be brought out, police emerged to say that he was causing trouble. At one point, an officer said Jackson had refused a voluntary blood alcohol test, so they were going to take him to the hospital for a test. “I want you to make this guy’s bond as high as you can,” the officer said. Then, an officer came out and said Jackson had agreed to take the test.

A few minutes later, at 12:25 a.m., an officer brought Jackson out. His eyes were a bit red, and he wore a black, long-sleeved Hurricanes shirt.

When the magistrate asked Jackson what the problem was, he said, “What kind of problem? Officer Passley type of problems, I’d say.”

Told he would have to appear in court, Jackson raised both hands to his chest.

“Can I respectfully ask it be moved to Wilmington?”

No, came the reply.

“What do I do if I feel I have been improperly treated by the police?”

He would have to file a complaint with the Raleigh Police Department.

“So I could file a complaint there tomorrow?” he said. None had been filed by Sunday evening.

The magistrate set his bail at $1,000 cash.

“I’m a long way from anybody that I might be able to get $1,000 from,” Jackson said. He asked whether he could put the bond on a credit card. He was told that he could call a bondsman and work out his own arrangements.

Then an officer led him away.

A former “Dawson’s Creek” producer who worked with Jackson for three years, Janice Cooke-Leonard, called him “a wonderful young man” on Sunday.

“I’m shocked to hear this,” said Cooke-Leonard, who now works in Los Angeles. “I have nothing but great things to say about him.”

Jackson is to appear in Wake County District Court on Dec. 4.

Back to Top